Utilisation of Social Media Within Corporations

Welcome back to this weeks topic! Through my media studies, I have recently begun to study how organisations actually utilise social media in their own forms. Before undertaking this topic, I assumed that there were only a few forms of social media utilised by organisations. Those forms being the usual, Facebook and Twitter. Little did I know that most organisations were actually using social media in the form of blogging. This seemed so bizarre to me as I always think of blogging as something someone does for fun or in order to make a change. Basically, I mean an individual person. 

I had no clue that big companies were actually adjusting to the constant technological developments frequently occurring.  So my sudden realisation has encouraged me to research which companies were using blogs as a way of interacting with their targeted publics.

The Greenpeace website, in particular, struck my attention due to its bold colours and easy-to-read aesthetics. This website publishes multiple authors’ stories on different topics in relation to preserving and maintaining our earth. I have found that a few organisations have multiple authors, which seems to be effective in gaining readers’ interest. It also creates a sense of diversity, with different views and opinions on different topics which are all interrelated.

Another great example of the utilisation of blog posts within corporations is the Iceberg Recruitment Agency website, where they also post with multiple authors on different issues and topics within recruitment. One of the interviews posted on the website was particularly inspiring. I’ll leave a link to it here. This story uses formal language in the form of an interview where the interviewer utilises the form of storytelling in order to engage the audience straight away. She uses strong and emotional language to really communicate her point across to the readers. It is part of a series created by the agency called “#LeadingLadies”. This segment offers interviews on inspiring women out in the workforce, discussing their motivations, inspirations and achievements. I think this organisation demonstrates that it really understands the purpose of it’s blog and how to use it to effectively promote business and more importantly, maintain its reputation.

When it comes to social media fails, I believe that most of them are caused via Twitter feeds. The more popularised fails have been communicated through Twitter Hashtagging, where the organisation has tried to relate it back to their audience by creating a storytelling service for regular customers to contribute to. This has often backfired on organisations, where instead of it becoming a positive online space, it has instead generated negativity towards the company itself. A great example of this is the well-known McDonald’s public relations failure, where the company decided to create the hashtag, “#McDStories” in 2012, which had the intention of generating positive stories about peoples’ experiences with McDonald’s. However, it ended up being a forum for people to vent about certain problems and misdoings that McDonald’s had committed. An ex-worker, James King even contributed to this forum by saying, “I lost 50Lbs in 6 months after I quit working and eating at McDonald’s” (Lubin, G 2012). I think it is safe to say that the company clearly do not put much research into this strategy.

Thanks so much for reading this week’s posts! Until next time!

References:

Greenpeace 2017, Greenpeace Australia Pacific, Greenpeace, retrieved 29 July 2017, <http://www.greenpeace.org.au/blog/#.WdGPcodGiZx>

O’Dea, A 2017, #LeadingLadies:Angie Greene, Agency Iceberg, retrieved July 29, <http://agencyiceberg.com.au/2017/07/leadingladies-angie-greene/>

Lubin, G 2012, McDonald’s twitter campaign goes horribly wrong #McDStories, Business Insider Australia, retrieved 29 July 2017, <https://www.businessinsider.com.au/mcdonalds-twitter-campaign-goes-horribly-wrong-mcdstories-2012-1>

One thought on “Utilisation of Social Media Within Corporations”

1. Glad you enjoyed the interview and the way we use social media and content! Send us through an email if you want to ask any questions:)